Have you ever been told that you’re a natural born salesperson?
Or maybe the opposite. Maybe you work in sales but you fell into the role and you don’t think it comes naturally to you at all.
Well most people get their opinions about salespeople from films, the media and out of date stereotypes.
If you think all a natural born salesperson needs to be able to do is influence and bully a person into buying, then you’ve got it all wrong.
So in this video I’m going to share what the true traits of a natural born salesperson are, based on our research from over 100,000 salespeople.
Now the 12 traits of natural born salespeople are specific to salespeople selling services to businesses.
There are a different set of traits for salespeople who sell to consumers or even for customer service people who do their own kind of selling.
So lets get into it. I’m going to split the 12 traits into three separate groups –
- Sales specific skills – Skills required specific for selling
- External traits – Personality traits obvious to other people
- Internal traits – Personality traits that are more difficult for others to see
SALES SPECIFIC SKILLS
- Being comfortable with money – Clearly you need to be able to discuss money with your buyers.
- Being assertive – You must be able to both give and take value when appropriate.
- Strong goal setting – If you don’t set goals, you won’t know where you’re going.
- Having a systematic selling process – If you do not have a systematic way of getting to your goal, you’ll never reach it.
- Extroverted (most of the time)- To win in sales you need to be able to present, influence and communicate. This takes a certain level of extrovertedness to achieve.
- Strong sales hustle – Sales hustle is the ability to push through tough times and keep going for the long term.
- Optimistic – You need to be an optimist because if you don’t think you’re going to win the business, it will become a self-fulfilling prophesy and you won’t win anything.
- High levels of personal accountability – If you’re not accountable for yourself, other people won’t be accountable to you either.
- Not a people pleaser – You need to be able to exchange value, not suck up so much that some day, maybe, it’ll come back to you.
- High emotional intelligence – People won’t buy if they’re feeling down emotionally. You need to be able to regulate the emotions in yourself and others.
- Strong self esteem – Common failure symptoms like rejection disappear when you solve the underlying issue of a lack of self esteem.
- Success mindset – A seller with a success mindset believes that pretty much anything is possible because they can always learn, improve and adapt to overcome obstacles that are put in front of them.
So there we have the 12 traits that natural born, business to business salespeople all have.
This is tried and tested now with data from over 100,000 salespeople.
So let me ask you, how many of these natural born salesperson traits do you have?
Leave a one liner with your answer in the comments below.